Thursday, April 16, 2009

A.T. Mahan High School - Keflavik, Iceland


How many people were in your graduating class? 500? 1000? 1500?

Well here is a picture of my graduating class in Keflavik, Iceland in 1991. All seventeen of us, although one did not make it, making it a class of 16 people who graduated. Thanks to facebook I have been lucky enough to get in touch with most of them in the past two months after almost twenty years.

There is no way to fully share this experience with anyone who has not lived it sadly. I will however do my best to give it some life because it was simply the most amazing time of my life and in a category all by itself.

Recently I was chatting with another friend from the days of Iceland we both agree there is nothing in life that will compare or even come close to a related experience. As I have said before I had no intentions of going to Iceland in the first place and so my whole attitude was negative in the beginning. It did not take long to realize that these people were going to be my only friends whether I liked it or not. I met my best-friend on the first day of school. See that little Filipino guy in the front? That's Eddie Parker, later and forever known to me and a few others as Mr. Ed. I remember how I met him as if it were yesterday and though the story itself is pretty lame it somehow remains a so vivid in my mind. First day of school, first class of the day he was cool as he informed that i had missed a belt loop in my pants. So that's it, nothing dramatic, but for whatever reason that is all it took for us to become instant friends.

It's pretty interesting how living a small plot of land on a small little island in middle of the ocean suddenly changes your life in ways that you would never have imagined. It did not matter who was popular and who wasn't in the good ole USA because everyone knew each other and popularity simply had to be left at the door. As did many other things, ie: Fashion, Current Events, Popular TV Shows and countless other things. You didn't have to worry about being someone because nobody was anything and everybody was everything. You learned to get over things fast, you had to when you simply can't get away from someone because they are everywhere. Arguments and fights couldn't last because then you wouldn't have anyone to help you get through the day. There was no black or white, rich or poor, or 'I'm better than you are '. The island and school was too small for that and there was not any room for all that.

As seniors we were very lucky to have a little room that we could all congregate into and get away from the other 182 students(grades 7-11). The Senior Lounge was our special place to go and relax, unwind, and it was all ours. No under class men were allowed to enter and no teachers dared invade our space. This room held for us secretes, freedom, our own reality and gave us the space to be alone, which was very hard to do anywhere else on base. There are so many memories that come rushing in just as I type this, yet I seem to remember one of the best things about the lounge is was it was like Vegas. What happened there, stayed in there and is still in there.

With all the things that people think we missed out on by being in such an isolated place, we had the opportunity to experience things that those people never will. Did you have a Senior Field Trip? If so did it include seeing one the greatest waterfalls in the world? How about sitting in a natural hot spring, surrounded by snow? Those are just two of the amazing things we were able to be a part of together and as friends. I wonder how many people in the world can say they knew everyone they graduated with?

I often refer to my time in Iceland as a total and complete break from reality. In some ways it be seen as primitive compared to what the high school kids at the time were doing in the United Sates. In many ways our options were limited which gave us reasons to become creative in what we did and how we spent our time. Silly as it may sound today, our days and nights were spent bowling, playing pool, playing cards, watching movies 4-5 times a week and many, many trips to the Air Terminal for no other reason than to get hot chocolate and get out of the house. We were able to have some of the same rights of passage as high school kids in the states: House Parties(ok so it was really a rented community center), Drinking and trying to hide it from our parents, and Prom. Our prom lasted for close to twenty four hours and included dinner at the Officers Club, A Movie, Bowling, Breakfast, and a few other things that I don't remember for one reason or another.

So what happens when the school year ending gets closer and closer? You begin to realize that these people that you have spent so much time with, more time than any other high school class would spend together in the world, have in many ways become your family. Perhaps the worst thing about being a military brat is always moving from place to place, I know it brought me to a point where I didn't really care about making friends. It was just easier to be a loner. However, in Iceland the rules changed. Not only did I make friends, my whole life, as well as theirs, revolved around each other. There was point where if you saw me, you saw Mr. Ed, David Hillers and David Mayes, almost as if the four of us were one person. In hind sight it was probably kinda freaky...or would have been if we were in the states.

Amongst all the things we had shared and were still sharing it starts to settle in that someones father or mother could get orders at any moment taking them away from what had become our life. For some it came as a blow almost too much to take, why had we been forced to come this island and meet these people and become so close with them only to have them ripped out of our lives...yet again. As much as we were adults we were still kids and it wasn't easy. Why did someone who you had spent pretty much every single day with in the past nine months suddenly shut down in despair over how to handle doing something that we had all done so many times, move on? We were about to graduate high school, finally after so many years, yet so many times we cried, we were sad and at a loss for words. Saying goodbye is never easy, but it is twice as hard when you have to do it over and over and over in just a couple months time.

The great thing about going to A.T. Mahan High School in Keflavik, Iceland is that you were allowed to be a person, a real person. We were allowed to cry and show feelings and emotions, even if we thought we could control them and no one faulted us for it. We were allowed to share a bond that no one else in the world could have access to. We were able to all be friends without all the bullshit that still plaques high school kids today, we all belonged....to each other.

15 comments:

  1. Well done! It's so hard to capture what we had there. It truly was one of those things where you just "had to be there." Do you remember camping in the world's smallest forest??? My favorite part of Iceland was that we could be real. We didn't have anybody around us to tell us we were doing it wrong...mainly because we were all in the same boat. As the Pet Shop Boys said, "Cause we were never being boring, We had too much time to find for ourselves. And we were never being boring, We dressed up and fought, then thought: make amends. And we were never holding back or worried that time would come to an end."

    Cheers, friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A proud graduate of 4th and 5th grade at ole Mahan grade school from 1977-79. Yes, it has been said that was the greatest forrest in the world...except you can see right through that.

      Did ya'll know that in Tom Clancy's book "Red Storm Rising" the Russians take over Keflavik and set up their command post in our grade school, A.T. Mahan. Gotta kick out of that.

      Delete
  2. Interesting viewpoint. Two things struck me as I was reading this. One was the line, "As much as we were adults we were still kids and it wasn't easy." I would argue that the reverse could also be true - as much as we were just kids/teenagers/whatever, we were being thrust into an adult role: accepting change. Now, we all make choices about our fate, and maybe as teenagers we chose to cry, act out, feel sorry for ourselves. But ultimately, for most of us, we moved on and said our goodbyes - we had to. Maybe these were choices we might not have accepted at the time as "fair," but decisions, beyond our control, that take us down roads we never would have faced otherwise.
    Second, is it possible that, being in such a small community, we COULDN'T be who we wanted to? Maybe I might be sharing too much, but I remember my parents telling me that, when we moved into such a small community, you had to keep your nose clean. Walls had ears. Everybody knew about everybody's business, so you maintained a public profile that was spotless or non-legendary. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was having different feelings than other people about "orientation," as it were. But then again - I wasn't the only one working that out.
    Keep it up, Trotz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother taught at A.T. Mahan whilst her father was stationed there from November 1968 to 1970. Is there any kind of memorabilia such as year-books, photos, etc. from that era? If anyone has knowledge as to this you can email me at honsacre@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, I graduated from A.T. Mahan in 68. Your Mom may have been one of my teachers.

      Delete
  4. I recognize several of the people in your class (as well as Mr Munro) - I was in the Class of 1988. You're absolutely right - Iceland was a once in a lifetime experience I'll never forget. I still have many friends from those days...I was fortunate enough to go back for a work trip for a week in 2000. I hope to take my family there someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Munro was my principal 1970-1977 toooooooooo!!!!! .... ahhhhh Iceland ~ where NO ONE knows the language (tho we kids learned) and EVERYONE who was a youth there are FOREVER kindred spirits as Our Story is Your story & Mine almost verbatim. ~ Renee

      Delete
  5. Interesting post. I went to A T Mahan in 1963 (makes me old I know). My dad was a civilian so I was able to live off base. My best friend was David Burgey whose dad was commander of the base. The experience changed my life. I ended up living in Iceland for three years after my dad left and married an Icelandic girl. We didnt stay married but that's another story. I am glad others had a bonding experience similar to what I found. It's sad the school no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Iceland. I taught English and business from 1976 to 1979 and regard it among my career highlights—especially a senior trip in ‘79 to London. Also I loved coaching men’s volleyball while there. Our record after 3 years was 70-9! If anyone can share some memories, I’m at harms61@nvc.net. I’m not on social media.
    Gary Harms

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was there from 68-70 and new most of the high schoolers while i was just in the 5th and 6th grade. Ms. Blair and Mr. Thompson. Ms. Blair was mean. Yeah, great period in my life. The whole base was mine, the gym, theatre, pinball machines..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made friends with two half Icelandic kids, Brian Nolan and Tony LaCroix. You know them? I spent time with them off base....dodging the Viking kids who wanted to fight. harepooch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn’t graduate but left in 1990 to move back to the states. I was best friends with Alexis McMahon and spent many days in the senior lounge. I remember all of you! I remember in Spanish class we all called each other by our Spanish names. I remember our history teacher Mr. Rush who would tap his pencil on his coffee cup to get out attention.
    I don’t have Facebook so can’t connect there. You would probably know me.
    Your blog brought me tears because it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I learn something more difficult on diverse blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to learn content from other writers and practice a little there. I’d opt to apply certain while using content on my blog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide link on the internet weblog. Thank you for sharing. KATERYNA ARMENTA

    ReplyDelete
  11. This web-site is often a walk-through for all of the information you wanted about this and didn’t know who to question. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it. AMBITIOUS WE LIFE COACHING Program for Women

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lived there the summer of 83 till the summer of 84. My 4th grade year
    I had the most wonderful teacher I ever had in my life, his name was Mr. Pumputus. I hope I spelled that correctly lol. Many days were spent at the Youth Center where I was the air hockey champ!!!!. Bowling at The Viking Mall and going to the Lamb dog spot was so memorable to me. Fell in love with a Icelandic girl too.

    ReplyDelete