Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pulic Display Of ....


There is no doubt that every single one of us, at one time or another, has done something in public that we should not have done, or at the very least did not mean to do. I think we have seen someone digging for gold in their car, thinking somehow that the within the comfort zone of their four doors that no one can see what they are doing, despite the fact that half the vehicle is completely see through.

There is a line to be drawn though when in public though and that line is, without a doubt, crossed when your search for gold follows you on the train! Just as wanna be valley girls seem to infest the Red Line, I had the unfortunate experience on the Blue Line a few nights ago to sit next to a man who, though his efforts were great, could not seem to find what he was looking for up his nose. He did seem to find a great many things that were not to his liking though, as he carefully examined each treasure closely. When his careful, almost scientific, analysis proved to be in vain he took it to yet another level of public distaste by rolling each find in between his thumb and index finger until he formed a ball and placed these disappointments under the seat in front of him, perhaps for a closer second look at another time.

If you have actually read this far you must be wondering how I can describe this man in such detail. As I write this I wonder myself. The whole experience can be compared to watching a horror movie through your fingers because your hands are covering your face. Or trying not to stare at the really large person walking down the street, yet you keep peaking, despite your efforts not to. I recall my utter amazement at this man so much so that although I did not want to keep watching him in his quest for this fools gold that seemed so important to him, I could not stop. The only thing that I can think of that kept me from yelling, "What the hell are you doing!", again was what I am defining as social shock.

This whole thing has caused me to reflect on the various moments in life that seemed to happen with no warning as well as the things that everyone only seems to realize are happening half way through the moment...

"Yaaawwwwnnnnn"....opps I wasn't covering my mouth, I'm sure that looked cute!

'Whew it was only a silent one'....OH NOOOOOO I HAD EGGS FOR BREAKFAST!!!!!

"Hey guys listen to this one rip!"....Oh Shit!! (that literally happened to a friend of mine in New Orleans and he was forced to take a cab home and change...he had to sit down to ride in the cab!)

I guess the point of this whole thing is that as perfect as we want to believe we are...we are still human....no wait that's not the point....

DO NOT DIG FOR GOLD IN PUBLIC, DO IT AT HOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment